This is a TRUE story... {for all of you that have heard my Junior/Nico (neighbors) stories and thought I was making them up... I can't make this stuff up... Seriously!}
I took them to their swim lessons today because their mom, Cristina had a scheduling conflict. So we're arriving at Mickey D's afterwards and I couldn't find a parking place, so I drove around the building a second time and said to no one in particular "Hey look kids! It's Big Ben!". (When ANYONE in my immediate family drives around something twice, we always say it and crack up! {Please tell me you know what I'm talking about... European Vacation... the round-about... Big Ben...ringing a bell?!?!?}) So this is the convo:
Me: Hey look kids! It's Big Ben!
Junior: What? There's no Big Ben! Why did you say that?
Me: Oh! It's from a movie. It's something you say when you drive around something twice.
Junior: What movie?
Me: A really old one - European Vacation. You know how we have that round-about by the Deuce? Well America just started putting round-abouts in the last few years {did I make that up?} but England has had them for a really long time and American's don't know how to drive around them at first. So the dad goes round & round & round & round and it's right in front of Big Ben. So he tells his kids the first time they drive by "Hey look kids! It's Big Ben!" and then he goes around a second time and says it again and a third and a fourth...
Junior: What kind of car were they driving?
Me: I don't know
Junior: Well think!
Me: I really don't know. It's been a really long time since I've seen the movie.
Junior: I'll bet it was a Mercedes
Me: I doubt it {because Clark Griswold would never spring for anything flashier than the Family Truckster}
Junior: Well was it black?
Me: I really don't remember
Junior: Did it have windows?
Me: Yes {don't they all?}
Junior: How could you not remember what it looked like?
Me: Because that is only a small part of the movie
Junior: How many times did they go around it?
Me: I don' t know - like 5?
Junior: Were there signs for him to follow?
Me: Yes, but he was in the inside lane.
Junior: I don't get it.
Me: We'll try and find it on YouTube. Come on let's go inside {because we had been sitting in a hot car that entire time}.
I love this kid! Such a thirst for knowledge!
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Actually there is a big one in North St. Louis County---we always called it "The Circle". It was where teenagers went cruising on the weekend because there was a Steak 'N Shake also there. We'd drive around the circle onto the Steak parking lot, see if anyone was there, go out the other side and go around the circle again.
Your dad can probably remember the make of car in the movie---guys remember things like that.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man! That's hilarious! I love it. Sounds like Davis...
Post a Comment