
1) PDO is open again this week {if you listen closely you can hear me singing the Hallelujah Chorus} So many errands to run... things to clean... pools to go to alone...
2) Our new Petsmart just opened and we needed more dog food, so Roman and I went up there. Just a suggestion for all of you parents out there looking for some good cheap indoors fun... Roman loved looking at the birds, lizards, fish, hamsters, cats & dogs (that come in with their owners). It's like a free zoo (no comments from the St. Louis gang whose zoo is already free)

3) Is it sad that I'm super-excited to hear the new Laurie Berkner cd?
4) For so many years, I bought books full-price at Barnes&Noble, Borders, Target, etc.... did you know there is this place you can get them for free? It's called a library! And they don't just have Encyclopedia Brittanica's and biographies on all of the presidents... they have chick-lit... and you get to keep them for a MONTH... and they even have a drive-up drop-off... and they're even so modernized that they have on-line queues to make your requests - just like Netflix! Whoever led me to believe that all books had to be purchased full-price probably also has a bridge to sell me. {Meanwhile, my grandmother, the librarian, is finally resting peacefully}

5) The artwork I ordered is finally in! The above masterpiece was lovingly designed by my next-door neighbors, Junior & Nico. The medium is pencil, eraser & marker. They offered to sell me a "paint by numbers Starry Night" but I told them I wanted an "original" picture of my family. This is Jason, Me, Louie, Roman & Casie on a walk. I negotiated a $12 price about a month ago but this week they told me they'd give it to me for $3 since I was their first customer. I gave them the $12 to spend on their trip to St. Louis. If you're interested in a portrait, let me know and I'll "hook you up". Now for the perfect place to hang it! {I personally like Jason's green knee-pads. Is he even wearing underwear or pants? Should I worry about the thick layer of ozone?}
6) Roman is at the stage where everything is a celebration. Name the correct color? "Hi-Fi's" (high-fives) for all. Identify a "tiger" in a book? "Nucky's" (Knuckles... as in "popping rocks" or "bumping fists"). Song ended? "Yay!" Finally finish a meal? Ticker-tape parade! It's nice to see pleasure over the little things in life.
7) Jason and I had always envisioned raising children with them eating what we ate. What a crock! Our first 5 nights with Roman were spent in Russia at mall food-courts where we didn't even know what we were eating ourselves, much less what was appropriate to give a toddler. So we ate belini's (crepes) & pizza and gave him bites, but we mostly brought mandarin oranges, cereal & goldfish for him to eat. How quickly we changed the boy who ate bland soup, rye bread, boiled chicken & drank tea in the orphanage. Due to the sudden change in diet, Roman went from quickly scarfing all his food down to Mr. PickyPants. So we started giving him things American children ate: chicken nuggets, PBJ's, hot dogs... well read the post below to find out how that is going... So last night, I made the decision that if he is going to be picky, I'm not making him a separate meal. We served him a salmon fillet, grilled green beans & red potatoes, strawberries & blueberries. Duh... he ate the strawberries & blueberries and some-what enjoyed the potatoes. So when it came time to try the salmon... you'd think the fish had suddenly come back to life and was swimming down his throat! He acted like the green beans were little daggers stabbing the roof of his mouth, tongue & throat. But... he ate 3/4 of it! So it takes 21 days to form a habit, right? 1 down, 20 more to go!
8) I watched the Jennifer Love Hewitt version of "The Audrey Hepburn Story" on Saturday night. Not bad... for a JLH movie.
9) Has any research been done on the "Witching Hour"? Or is it some unknown phenomenon like the "Bermuda Triangle" or the "Jon Benet Ramsey case"? I can't wait until it is a tad more pleasant outside so Roman can go out and play with the other neighbor kiddo's. That usually seems to whip the witch's butt!!!
10) I think I managed to talk Jason into a trip to Napa for our 10-Year anniversary. Grandparents... just a fair 55-week warning to be in tip-top shape to keep up with our active little whippersnapper!

3) Is it sad that I'm super-excited to hear the new Laurie Berkner cd?
4) For so many years, I bought books full-price at Barnes&Noble, Borders, Target, etc.... did you know there is this place you can get them for free? It's called a library! And they don't just have Encyclopedia Brittanica's and biographies on all of the presidents... they have chick-lit... and you get to keep them for a MONTH... and they even have a drive-up drop-off... and they're even so modernized that they have on-line queues to make your requests - just like Netflix! Whoever led me to believe that all books had to be purchased full-price probably also has a bridge to sell me. {Meanwhile, my grandmother, the librarian, is finally resting peacefully}

5) The artwork I ordered is finally in! The above masterpiece was lovingly designed by my next-door neighbors, Junior & Nico. The medium is pencil, eraser & marker. They offered to sell me a "paint by numbers Starry Night" but I told them I wanted an "original" picture of my family. This is Jason, Me, Louie, Roman & Casie on a walk. I negotiated a $12 price about a month ago but this week they told me they'd give it to me for $3 since I was their first customer. I gave them the $12 to spend on their trip to St. Louis. If you're interested in a portrait, let me know and I'll "hook you up". Now for the perfect place to hang it! {I personally like Jason's green knee-pads. Is he even wearing underwear or pants? Should I worry about the thick layer of ozone?}
6) Roman is at the stage where everything is a celebration. Name the correct color? "Hi-Fi's" (high-fives) for all. Identify a "tiger" in a book? "Nucky's" (Knuckles... as in "popping rocks" or "bumping fists"). Song ended? "Yay!" Finally finish a meal? Ticker-tape parade! It's nice to see pleasure over the little things in life.
7) Jason and I had always envisioned raising children with them eating what we ate. What a crock! Our first 5 nights with Roman were spent in Russia at mall food-courts where we didn't even know what we were eating ourselves, much less what was appropriate to give a toddler. So we ate belini's (crepes) & pizza and gave him bites, but we mostly brought mandarin oranges, cereal & goldfish for him to eat. How quickly we changed the boy who ate bland soup, rye bread, boiled chicken & drank tea in the orphanage. Due to the sudden change in diet, Roman went from quickly scarfing all his food down to Mr. PickyPants. So we started giving him things American children ate: chicken nuggets, PBJ's, hot dogs... well read the post below to find out how that is going... So last night, I made the decision that if he is going to be picky, I'm not making him a separate meal. We served him a salmon fillet, grilled green beans & red potatoes, strawberries & blueberries. Duh... he ate the strawberries & blueberries and some-what enjoyed the potatoes. So when it came time to try the salmon... you'd think the fish had suddenly come back to life and was swimming down his throat! He acted like the green beans were little daggers stabbing the roof of his mouth, tongue & throat. But... he ate 3/4 of it! So it takes 21 days to form a habit, right? 1 down, 20 more to go!
8) I watched the Jennifer Love Hewitt version of "The Audrey Hepburn Story" on Saturday night. Not bad... for a JLH movie.
9) Has any research been done on the "Witching Hour"? Or is it some unknown phenomenon like the "Bermuda Triangle" or the "Jon Benet Ramsey case"? I can't wait until it is a tad more pleasant outside so Roman can go out and play with the other neighbor kiddo's. That usually seems to whip the witch's butt!!!10) I think I managed to talk Jason into a trip to Napa for our 10-Year anniversary. Grandparents... just a fair 55-week warning to be in tip-top shape to keep up with our active little whippersnapper!

4 comments:
oh i used to tell you all the time that the boys LOVED going to the pet store! sadly, when we lived in corpus christi, we really did have to look at it as an ACTIVITY because there just wasn't enough toddler fun to go around in that town. the pet store was indoor FREE FUN. we took our time & strolled down every aisle. then we'd swing by world market (next door) & mommy would have HER fun and the boys would get a sample of a gingersnap. FUN FOR EVERYONE!
Well, at least you look pretty good in Junior and Nico's picture of your family. I'll never forget the family portrait---Dad in a tie, girls in dresses and Mom in shorts and sandals. Hmm, that was some image of me that you or Rachel had.
As you know, I do believe in serving the kids the same food as the parents eat--just lazy, I guess. Remember when I had that baby-food grinder and I'd just crank out the food while fixing our dinner. But, we didn't eat that exotically anyway. . . And, if Dad was out of town, we had scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and orange juice mixed with 7-up. OK, maybe I was just a lazy cook.
Are you taking a special Napa Valley Trip---why 55 weeks?
We may not be able to do a whole week but we can certainly help!
We just got the new LB cd and it's really good!
I love your blog - you crack me up :)
Post a Comment