I'm waiting for my Mother of the Year award to arrive in the mail. I'm sure it will be a nice one with several gold stars on it, signed by President Bush, the editor of Parents Magazine, and Angelina Jolie. Roman is all 2, all boy, all the time - to sum it up. Re-direction and time-outs don't seem to work with him. He does something offensive and I ask "do you want to go to time-out?" and he nods "yes". What the heck do you do when it back-fires? When I do suddenly put him in time-out (without asking the question first), he dances, twirls the stair spindles (his time out is the bottom step of the stairs) and just gazes outside... he has a gay ol' time. When he returns from time-out, if he does the offending action again, I start taking a privilege away. When I do this though, it seems to affect me more than it does him.
Today I put him down for a nap without reading him a book due to his constant food/plate/cup-throwing. I warned him it would happen, but it continued. I don't want to be "empty-promise mom" so he headed up to his room, we changed the diaper and he went right to bed... no books and no happy dialog between mommy & son. Booktime before bed & nap is my favorite time of day because he is so sweet while he sits on my lap, pointing things out in the book, looking up at me to give me a spontaneous kiss - I love it. I know he likes it, too, and that is why I took it away today. Last week, after more meal-antics, I threatened to take away his beloved after-dinner cookie privilege. Instead of instantly whipping into shape and finishing his meal like a good-boy, he proceeded to whine "cookie, cookie, cookie...." . After about a half-hour of this whining and no progress on his plate, I proceeded to eat the cookie(s) myself right in front of him. His little bottom lip started quivering, a tear trickled down his cheek... it was pathetic, but I stuck to my guns. I thought I finally got through to him, but next meal... same antics. I can't keep eating his cookies (although I'd love to). Talk about mommy being punished more than Roman... I'd have to increase my already annoying work-out schedule. Last night, we came home from Nana & Pop's house with a balloon. Roman was so distracted by the balloon he didn't eat his meal, so bye-bye went the balloon. He whined for it, but I wouldn't give it back. I threatened to pop the balloon, but he thought I was saying "pop" as in "Pop" (a.k.a grandpa) so I knew he didn't understand what I was threatening. Then I had visions of myself viciously attacking the balloon with a knife in front of Roman's wide & scared eyes. Talk about scarring a child for life! Instead, I just relocated the balloon until it was "out-of-sight-out-of-mind".
Throwing is our #1 problem right now. My mantra that I repeat to Roman over & over again is "Throwing anything (or insert object here) inside is a no-no. Throwing balls outside is OK". Besides food, plate, cup & placemat at meals, Roman throws his shoes/snack cup/(anything he gets his hands on) at stores / in the car - out of sheer boredom & sheer glee. My daily errands are now limited to one store (and cross my fingers that they have a "car-cart"). If not... it has to be a quick trip or off go the shoes and then he reaches behind him and launches something that was in the cart. So if you run into me at a store and Roman is in the cart facing me, and I ignore you... don't take it personally, unless you want to be covered in goldfish crackers or have a croc chucked at your eye. Man, I wish Target would take cues from the grocery stores and get car-carts. Maybe this post should have the tag "petition" {joke for my mom & Rachel}. If I ever find who I need to talk to at Target about this, I'll post a new petition entry.
The books are all full of such unrealistic advice... maybe "talking it out" and "praying to St. Nicholas the Patron Saint of Children" works for a toddler girl, but not a head-strong 2 year old boy! Any advice? (This is where you click on "comments" below and write one and I take all y'all's advice, wisdom & good judgment - wrap it all into one, write a book and become Super-Mom)
Monday, August 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Take his shoes off and put them in your purse when he gets in the cart if you're afraid he's going to chuck them.
Shun him whenever possible---don't give him the attention that he gets when you sit there watching him or eating his cookie.
Other than that, you're doing everything right. I had a child who loved shopping but pulled at everything, ate everything, threw things,I left her in Mother's Day Out until she was old enough to behave. She's getting payback now! :-)
Personally, I see nothing wrong with him enjoying time-outs. It redirects his attention from what he was doing, lets him take a breather & lets him start with a clean slate. He needs that, too & apparently he likes having the chance to do that. I think you're wasting your time on trying to get reactions from him (popping the balloon, eating the cookie) ... I think the reaction you WANT & the reaction you'll GET aren't going to be the same. (& more often than not, you'll just feel bad - not him!!! Trust me on that one!)
I'm a firm believer in redirection & picking up on hidden cues... like maybe very 1st sign of him getting bored with his meal, get him out & let him go play or take him up for nap! Seems like a lot of the behavior stems from boredom! Sooo just keep him busy or move on to the next thing. At the grocery store, go by the deli & get your free slice of cheese. Then 1/2 way through the store go to the bakery & get his free cookie! :) And when you're in the aisle, quiz him... "Roman, can you find the bear?" (cereal box w/ a bear) & if he starts whining because he WANTS the cereal, move on & say "nooo... Roman, can you find the color GREEN?"
Just keep it movin'... keep him busy... & try to stay ahead. I think boredom, hunger & late-for-nap or lack-of-sleep are the culprits!!!!!!!! Roman's a smart, quick little pistol! So who knows if any of Aunt Rachel's ideas will work on him...
In summary, :) REDIRECTION , KEEPING BUSY & READING BODY LANGUAGE are high on my list for dealing with a 2 year old.
I really liked your joke about working in another petition label! :) hee hee
Beat him- WHAT? that's what I did with Jack! LOL!!! Jack wouldn't stay in time out. He'd get up and tell me NO! Then cross his arms and look at me with that, "Go ahead, I dare you" look. I finally gave up taking him in public until he turned 4. Even now it's a quick trip. I give him his own list and have him check off things as we get them. I'm with your mom though, leave his shoes in the car or in your purse. I should get to work now. ut work is my only down time since i've been a single mom for so long now. I get more single mom-ship starting tomorrow and for 10 more days. Only now instead of just the one child, i get them both back. I don't recall signing up for single motherhood.
Post a Comment