
Since Roman's tubes were put in his ears, his verbal skills have flourished {why didn't his listening skills?} and he has said some funny & clever stuff!
We had a discussion the other day in the car about playing with our friends {because we've been having some sharing & hitting problems} and I said "What are your favorite things to do with your friends?" His response was "hit." I said "Oh no!!! It is never nice to hit anyone. We give hugs not hits. We should always be nice. What are some nice things?" He pointed to his ears and said "listen." I said "Yes! Listening is a very nice thing to do. We should always be a good listener. What are some other nice things?" He said "people." I said "Yes, people are nice. What are some other nice things?" {"Survey Says?" Sharing! Taking Turns! Cooperating!} He said "cookie bars." {Yummmmmm.... yes those are nice!} Conversation over. Better luck next time.
Roman loves talking about "big kids." I don't know who he considers a "big kid" or how you qualify in his little mind, but he doesn't look upon "big kids" very fondly. He thinks "big kids" turned off the fountain at the entrance to our neighborhood. He thinks "big kids" are the reason the pool has been drained and isn't open. We found a broken piece of exercise equipment at the Y and he thinks "big kids" are the culprits. And at the doctor's office yesterday, there was a painting on the wall of his patient room of a volcano erupting and he pointed to the red & orange paint used to depict the lava bursting up & out of the volcano and he said "Messy. Big kids did it." Those pesky good-for-nothing big kids! I'm going to have a tough time persuading him into being a "big kid." Most moms can use phrases like: "Big kids go poopoo on the potty and wear underwear, big kids stay up late and get to ride to school on the bus. Don't you want to be a big kid, too?" I guess I can use it to my advantage and say things like "if you don't finish your dinner, I'll make you play with big kids" or "go to bed now or the big kids will come and get you in your sleep!"
Roman has been saying full sentences - none of that babyish stringing together 2 or 3 words stuff. The first time I really noticed it was when we were leaving St. Louis a few weeks ago and my mom was dancing like a weirdo trying to make Roman laugh {Or was she just honestly dancing? Like Elaine on Seinfeld? Hmmmm.... } and she stopped dancing and Roman looked at her and said "I want you to do that again."
His upcoming baptism should be interesting. Most churches I've been to, it is rare to see someone not an infant being baptized. On the rare occasion, that it is a toddler or a child, they say or do funniest things. We walk past the sanctuary a few times a week. On our way to PDO, if he notices it at all, he remarks that it is "dark." On Sundays, usually we bypass it because of the crowds {he has never been to a service.} So last week on the way to PDO, the lights were actually on and Roman exclaimed "wow!" {I guess seeing a church with stained glass, a big alter and all the pews is pretty impressive to a 2-year old.} So I said "You know what? Next week you'll be going in there with mommy and daddy and standing in front of a lot of people and they're going to put some water on your head." Roman answered "that's crazy!" {Please oh please don't say that during your service!} Now every time he walks by the sanctuary he points and says "water on my head." I can't wait.... hope he doesn't disappoint by doing the deer in the headlight act.
Knowing it was going to be a nice day, I let Roman wear a short-sleeved shirt today . I picked one out and I put it on him and it was too small. I picked another one and it was also a bit snug. So I picked out a third one and put it on him and he said "will this work?"
...and to think a year ago if Roman said anything at all, it was in Russian!
Had to share this pic: Roman asleep at the grocery store. I suspected he'd fall asleep in the car on the way home so I got him a Lunchable to eat while we shopped. When like the 4th person looked at me and pointed to Roman I finally looked in there and this is what I saw. He has never fallen asleep in public like this!

1 comment:
(post-baptism note) i think roman crawling underneath jason's legs to get away from the minister qualifies as a funny toddler baptism story. :) i just wish someone was quick enough with the camera to capture it.
Post a Comment