Thursday, June 4, 2009

Romanisms


Over memorial day weekend, we went to dinner at the National and hadn't realized there was a "drive-in movie night" on the driving range. The National had rented an inflatable big screen and the idea was to drive your golf carts over like a "drive in" or just bring lawn chairs, blankets, etc... So after our dinner, we walked over there to check it out and while talking to some friends who asked why we weren't staying, I jokingly listed as one of the reasons that "Roman would probably unplug or pop the TV screen." So Roman runs off to find some friends while the parents talk and yada yada yada, every one starts gasping and I realized the movie was no longer playing and yes... our son found the cord and "plugged it out" as he says. And I stand corrected... it was the projector NOT the TV screen.

Me: {as we're leaving the store & are without an umbrella} Oh no! It's raining!
Roman: No mommy - it's just sparkling {meant to say sprinkling.}

Jason: Do you know where birds live?
Roman: {silent & preoccupied with something else}
Jason: They live in trees
Roman: No they live in nests!

Me: Who are your uncles?
Roman: {pointing} My ankles are down there.

Our YMCA has a new blood pressure contraption and it has been all the rage with Roman. He runs over there, sits down, puts his arm in the cuff and just starts pressing buttons. I figure he can't do much harm, so I generally let him play around until I'm done with my conversation, or I'm done checking him into child-watch, etc... One day when I checked him out of child watch, he bee-lined it over the machine and climbed up on some old man's lap and just started pressing buttons. After getting him down, an apology, a talk about boundaries and a lecture about it not being a toy, I had hoped Roman understood. A few days later, Roman wanted me to sit down at the machine, so I did. I put my arm in the cuff and I let Roman press the green button to turn it on. At the very height of the uncomfortable few-second squeeze, Roman took the opportunity to make a run for it. I tried pulling my arm out but I was truly stuck in it as the machine squeezed away. It took me a few seconds to find the button to cancel the test and as it deflated, I finally got my arm out to set out looking for Roman. He had made it to the second floor and was gliding along on a elliptical machine.

3 comments:

Jaclyn Morgan said...

LOL---that Roman is WAY too smart for his own good! What do the people at the Y think?

Jaclyn Morgan said...

We are still laughing about this---he could almost be the source of a sit com---Life with Roman.

Oh, there used to be one called "Dennis the Menace"---you ought to google it sometime.

Leah Warren said...

I can't stop laughing either!