Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Excessive - "Screwed"


So I've spent the last month cleaning & organizing the house - one room, one closet at a time. And I've come to realize something about our "stuff/junk". Some of it is a bit.... excessive. I've also been Little Mrs. Fix-it lately, trying to tweak loose knobs, replace dead batteries, assemble new toys, etc... and so imagine my frustration upon arriving at Jason's workbench to pick up flathead after flathead screwdriver, etc... when all of my projects used Phillips head screws. After amusing myself that I was on hidden camera and being punk'd, I thought to myself "Screw this!" and decided to dump the entire bin of screwdrivers. I finally found 2 Phillips heads and then had to scrounge through the rest of the workbench and a junk drawer to find the other 2. We own 32 flat head screwdrivers and only 4 Phillips head ones. Perhaps the reason is that we inherited 3 grandpa's worth of tools. But I find it hard to believe that they didn't have Phillips heads considering they've been around since 1936 {look at me researching screws... I expected to find more porn googling it! And for inquiring minds, the flathead bit has been around since 1744, but the handheld screwdriver was invented after 1800} During this whole ordeal, I couldn't help but wish I was a Phillips screw or a Flathead screwdriver heiress. It's like having hotdogs and only hamburger buns. I also giggled thinking about the episode of King of Queens where Arthur is peddling his new A-head screwdriver to the pot-head sales associate at the hardware store. Now that the Phillips head screwdrivers are a hot commodity, we'll probably have GPS installed on them so we're not "screwed" in the future.

2 comments:

Jaclyn Morgan said...

Funny! Actually I have some from my grandfather to add to the collection, if you are interested!

But, seriously---they are so versatile as seen in your photo--can pry the lid off a can of paint, stir the paint, pop off a beer bottle cap, apply putty, scrape grout and part your hair.

The Phillips head is only good for. . .screws!

Leah Warren said...

Ooooh maybe that's why Grandma had a set that has 35 different types of Phillips heads that I inherited....hmmmm....looks like one of us is screwed!