Someone in Facebook land declared this "Wayback Week", so some of my friends have changed their status pics to ones of their youth and so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon, too. I got out my box of old pics and sorted through several, rejecting one right after another for various reasons {"My face is dented in" - newborn - through 1 year, "I have vaseline smeared all over my face for some reason" - age 2, "I'm wearing 2 barettes in an unflattering place pulling the skin on my face weird" - 1st grade, "I have like 6 missing teeth" - 2nd grade, "I trimmed my own bangs that morning" - 3rd grade, "I'm wearing a shirt with a hippo on it for crying out loud" - 4th grade... there are just a lot of BAD pix.}

I've always loved this picture of me in Kindergarten. My outfit is actually cute, my hair isn't all funky... it's a timeless style - it could be of a child in 1959, 1969, 1989, 1999, or 2009... I went ahead and scanned it in, posted the pic to my profile and walked away from the computer. A few minutes when I came back, I stared at the picture and couldn't believe how much of Roman I saw in my 5-year old face. Most people we've met since Roman's adoption are shocked to find out he isn't our biological son. Roman's eyes are the same color as mine {kind of a gray/green} and his hair is as blond as Jason's. He also has high cheekbones like I have. After putting these 2 pictures side by side I realized how much Roman was truly meant to be with us. The director at his orphanage said our paperwork with our picture came across her desk at the same time Roman became available and she instantly knew it was the "perfect match".
We believe so, too.

2 comments:
Amen and Amen! When we first saw his photo, we all had shivers because he looked like he belonged with you and Jason. Even his name seemed to go with Rebecca and Jason---beginning with yours ending with Jason's and "O, ma"in the middle---or maybe that "Oma"! :-)
Wow, I've always thought this too, but it's neat seeing your cute lil' picture to really show it even more!
Post a Comment